Have a new radio and curious about how your audio sounds? Is it loud enough? Or is it too hot?
There is a VERY easy way to figure this out using Brandmeister’s Hoseline! (Of course this whole process will only work if you are using a Brandmeister Repeater or a Hotspot connected to the BM Network)
The easiest thing to do is get your radio setup on one of the TAC channels and listen to yourself using a web browser via BM Hoseline.
Here is a step by step example:
- Launch your web browser and visit Hoseline TAC 316 – http://hose.brandmeister.network/316/
- LISTEN for traffic to make sure no one is currently having a QSO there.
- Setup your radio to use one of your local repeaters or a hotspot and key TAC 316 (TG 316) to activate the dynamic TG.
- Watch your web browser and key your radio and start talking into it. You should hear yourself through your web browser and see the VU meter needle and waterfall move.
- Talk loudly and softly to see where the VU meter peaks. A peak of 3 seems to be an ideal sweet spot for most listeners.
- If your peaks are lower than 3, go into your radio config and bump up your mic gain and try it again.
- If your peaks are too high, then go into your radio config and lower your mic gain.
- Repeat the process until the VU meter spends most of its time between 5 and 2.